Labels

Thursday, December 18, 2014

Sound of the Desert Review




Sound of the Desert (风中奇缘) or Da Mo Yao (大漠谣)

picture credits to drama wiki
Episodes: 35

Broadcast Period: Oct 1, 2014- Nov 27, 2014

Synopsis:

Xin Yue was raised up by wolves but encounters a man, that later becomes her foster father, giving her a family and teaching her to live among humans. However warfare destroyed her family forcing her to flee and live once again roaming with the wolves in the desert. She finally decides to venture out into the city of Jian An when a merchant she helped out kept telling her the beauty of the city which reminded her of her father telling her the wondrous stories of Jian An City. There she encounters the harsh truth of the city and is determined to adapt to city life. Along her journey, she is helped out by a calm and kindhearted Mo Xun and an audacious General Wei Wuji, both of which she met in the desert. She falls in love with one of them but was rejected. How will she deal with the rejection and who will she choose in the end?

Review: 10/10 This is really just all about romance-which I love. There isn't much on imperial fighting until about episode 28 if your the type that likes watching schemes and plotting. If you don't like romance I would say to skip it. I read the plot from viki and it sounded interested. I watched scarlet heart and became a big fan of Liu Shi Shi and was excited to see another production of Liu Shi Shi. Eddie Peng and Hu Ge are people that I've heard of before but I have never watched anything they were in before. However I am more surprised at other A-list  that I know of-Maggie Cheung and Fala Chen that were from TVB. So I am excited to see what this has to offer.

I rate this 10/10 because it hit all the right spots for romance that I crave right now and considering how I finished the entire drama in 4 days. A large part of the high rating comes from being a fan Liu shi shi and Eddie Peng's gaze. However I have to say everyone played their role well. I was truly impressed with Eddie Peng's acting. Some people were saying not to draw comparisons between Liu Shi Shi role in scarlet heart however at some parts I was almost confused about the difference between the two characters and kept on making comparisons unknowingly. The two characters and plots were both very similar and Liu Shi Shi plays them exactly alike so it was difficult to not compare.

They have this in viki but I watched it off youtube from a uploader called mj01991. The video quality is ultraHD and I highly recommend to watch off of that. However they only have english sub up to ep 28. I watched the rest with my minimal chinese character and mandarin knowledge. I think they are still in the process of subbing it.



sidenote: my mother didn't even bother to watch another episode after the first episode because first of all this is in mandarin and she doesn't like to look at subtitles and two because she felt Liu Shi Shi wasn't as pretty compared to when she filmed scarlet heart. I read some comments that said the same. They felt that Liu Shi Shi and Hu Ge looked a bit tired. I felt she was the same as in scarlet heart and didn't catch on to any tiredness. I felt that Hu Ge only liked tired because his character was supposed to be melancholy and sickly all the time. One of the reason why I continued to watch after episode one is cause I felt the costumes were all nicely done and the scenes were so pretty. My sister who doesn't usually watch asian dramas asked me what the plot was because she couldn't figure it out after watching episode one.


Cast:
cecilia liu as xin Yue


Liu Shi Shi or Cecilia Liu plays Xin Yue. A girl who lives alone with wolves in the desert after losing her father in warfare. She narrowly escaped from being captured and must live in hiding and thus changed her name to Xin Yue. She is an innocent but brave girl with strong animal instinct and has some serious fighting skills. After living alone in the desert for a period of time she decides to explore the city. 









eddie peng as wei wu ji



Eddie Peng plays Wei Wuji. He is a hotheaded arrogant general that does not care about titles nor power. Although he is cold and rude to other people he shows his sincerity to Xin Yue who he falls for, protecting her yet teasing her whenever he can. The king favors him due to his superiority in archery, swordsmanship and mastermind in military tactics that is unmatched by any other person which contributes to his haughtiness. He is part of the royal family-his aunt is Empress Wan, his uncle is a general Wan whom care for him like a father and married to his uncle is Eldest Princess. Deep in his heart he feels an emptiness since his father left his mother once she was pregnant.


hu ge as mo xun




Hu Ge plays Mo Xun or Jiu Ye. He is kindhearted, caring and magnanimous. However, he is handicapped and due to this complex although he loves Xin Yue he keeps his distance and hides his true thoughts. He is a merchant with an immense amount social connection and power but prefers not to draw attention. His uncle is the king. Due to his grandfather's origination, he has underlying duties that he must accomplish.











extended casts:


                               Kristal Tin as Hong Gu             Fala Chen as Qin Xiang              Shi Xiaoqun as Eldest princess



                         Maggie Cheung as Wan Empress       Qin Hao as Wu wei Li                    Han Dong as Li Ji




the rest I don't know but wondering if anyone know who they are. I feel that I will see them in the future.
The first guy (I have seen him in scarlet heart -was delighted to see him again) plays chen yen guang.
Second guy looks like a new rising star plays li cheng
Third girl looks like Jessica C but I don't know if its her
Fourth girl plays Mao Yun Zhu



I have heard of Hu Ge and Eddie Peng many times but I have yet to see any works from them. Before there was a collaboration of Eddie Peng and Ethan Ruan but I wasn't a big fan of ethan and eddie just looked to cocky in there so didn't decide to watch it.


I discovered hot actor Eddie Peng. The drama will forever change my views of Eddie Peng. I can even declare he is my most favorite male artist right now. He looks a lot more captivating when he is acting compared to in pictures. Because of playing the character of a General his gaze has this determination which is very manly that I fell head over heels for him. In the first scene, I didn't really like him that much. Just another pretty boy with a nice role. But the determination and life he infuses into his character is so alluring. I watched the NGs and interview for the drama and his normal face is just all cute and smiley, but when portraying his role he is able to bring out the arrogant, confident, prideful, audacious felling that is part of the character. You get this strong charismatic gaze from his eyes-  like light is shining from his eyes and when he is fighting fire is spitting from his eyes. He gives General Wei a strong confident charming character that I don't think anyone else could exceed. Usually when people portray an arrogant character, the person also becomes hateful but he is able to balance the arrogance with his gaze and cute face makes the person charming.

eddie peng's charismatic gaze as wei wu ji

I have to say again everyone's acting was astounding. And it deserves a watch unless you prefer a drama with more of a plot and less romance.



Spoilers **************************************************************************

most favorite song is also opening theme: pacifying the world for you by Li Jian Qing
I like the chorus from "white hair ballad" aka Bai Tou Yin by Della Ding.
Hu Ge also sings a song for this drama but that song didn't get me entranced





My favorite scene is ep 16 where Xiao Yue is in the midst of bathing and Wuji burst into her room and wouldn't leave while she is completely naked. He then abducts her and takes her with him back to where his army is stationed. While on horseback Xiao Yue is calling him names, and he goes yes Im here. Loved that part.






other parts that i really liked were:

 the fight scene in the beginning. You can feel Wuji's protectiveness and fearlessness










The moment when she was on all fours it was so cute and then jiu ye helped apply medicine onto her infected ear









 this is where we first see instances of her past that she wants to hide from. It was such a cute moment that they were hugging together and wuji reassuring her that he is here and there is nothing to be afraid of.



Our main lead Liu Shi Shi has oh so many different outfits. I thought they all looked pretty. I liked the blue one with the head veil the most.



I think the grandest outfit of all was worn by Fala Chen










My comments while watching the drama. These are thoughts, frustrations and questions I had while watching the drama

ep 1 Did anyone notice the wire at about 4:33

ep 10 is the scene where Xiao Yue gazes at the lit room of Jiu Ye while WuJi also silently watches Xiao Yue. Even though he know Xiao Yue loves Jiu Ye he doesn't leave her.









ep 16 is my favorite bathroom peep scene. The whole episode was pretty enjoyable for me.

they were officially together after ep 18. Through that time I kept on feeling she doesn't really like him. I kept getting the feeling that she will later leave general wei and get back with jiu ye. Even after she said she would marry general wei, i felt like she only did that because she felt that she didn't belong anywhere anymore since his wolf brother also has a family and wanted to belong somewhere.

ep 19 I always felt that wei wu ji was the second male lead that never gets the main girl. I always felt that he was going to die or something bad was going to happen to him so when he lost the fight with the other kingdom's king, I totally thought they were going to kill off wei wu ji's character in this episode. And then everytime he went to war, I felt that something bad was going to happen to him or that he would lose in war and then lose confidence and his relationship with xiao xue would turn sour.

We also keep seeing jiu ye regret and keep trying to get back xiao wei but it was pretty annoying to me. When she basically proposed to him, he decided to push her away, even after a final notice he decided to decline. She left and only after that does he regret.

ep 20 I thought it was cute that both of them snuck into each other's houses. General Wei was disappointed when he couldn't find her in her own room and thought she had lingering feeling for jiu ye and went to jiu ye's house. I thought there was going to be a misunderstanding.

ep 22 when wei wu ji finds out that he isn't able to marry xiao yue b/c the king want him to marry a princess, i was like no. this is just the same as scarlet heart. the king is the main problem in all dramas.

ep 23 i was terribly afraid their marriage would break apart. I also didn't understand why he had to bite her. anger? to leave a mark? punishment? I conclude that biting could mean leaving a mark claiming the person is yours. wu ji was angry and felt that xiao yue marked jiu yue so he decided to leave a mark on xiao yue claiming that xiao yue is his women.

ep 25 First he has endured many wound but is at the brink of death just by just falling off a horse then suddenly he's as healthy as a tiger. seriously @_@ please make it more believable

ep 26 I totally thought their marriage was over. She missed her timing and general wei hit the breaking point. However, so glad they made up. and of course the hot scene

ep 28 I started to like back jiu ye after seeing how much he would risk for xiao yue

ep 29 I didn't think think that empress was a manipulative person but after this episode she started to show her true colors.

ep 33: so many different thoughts in this ep

I had not expected li qi to die. Why do all the good guys have to die. I wanted him to work together with general wei and be good brothers. I even had the wishful thinking of having general wei and xiao yue help li qi and qin xiang leave palace so they could live happily ever after. Then after li qi was killed the first thing I thought of was madam qiang will never let go of her revenge.

At first I didn't understand why general wei would not say he was set up in a trap  but later figured out that if he said something, that would expose that his aunt had set up that trap so that they could destroy the Li family.


ep 34 I actually thought that madam qin xiang decided to let go of everything and live in peace because she decided to send her son away so he wouldn't be in the fight for power. But then later on you see she still has hatred and is scheming to kill both general wei and the wan family.

using other's pity to kill someone. I can't believe his cousin tried to kill wuji that way. General wei went to save him yet his nephew lured him there to kill him instead.

ep 35 end-I couldn't believe I was on the last episode. I like that it was a happy ending but it was so sad for Jiu Ye. He lost both legs and ended up wandering in the desert. However I felt that this is the definition of  love. True love needs no repayment. As long as the person you love is happy you are happy. Although lots of dramas try to display this concept this is the only drama that shows this concept well.

xin yue and wei wu ji

How did you like the drama. Did you think it deserved a 10/10 rating?

6 comments:

  1. Love the show! The two leading stars have such chemistry together, very natural and comfortable with each other. Love, love love Eddie Peng!!! The only reason why I watched the series 2 times in a row!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah Sandra I totally agree. I think it's the chemistry between them is what got me to continue watching. The plot was just so so.

      Delete
  2. Love the show to the max!The chemistry between Eddie and Shi Shi simply awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. at the last part when 2 person shoots the arrow at wu ji, was that guy hei shi or hu wei li who shot him??

    ReplyDelete
  4. Late to the game, but I recently just finished watching it and am completely obsessed with it! Eddie played Wei Wuji so perfectly I can't imagine anyone else in that role. He slayed me with his twinkling eyes, cocky smirk, and tenderness towards the lone wolf girl wandering in the desert. I love how he puts her at top priority, and stays resolutely by her side no matter what, and takes care of her when she's sick or miserable or drunk. I never really paid much attention to Eddie Peng before, but after this show I'm catching up on all his other movies!

    Also, the cinematography in Sound of the Desert is stunning. Right from the first episode when Xin Yue stepped out in her gorgeous blue gown surrounded by wolves. I mean, can you blame Wei Wuji for being bewitched by her?!

    Their love story is a slow burning flame - Eddie and Shi Shi ooze chemistry in every scene they're together, but they take their time to fall for each other. I think love stories like that are more believable. They make you fall in love with the characters together with them, if that makes any sense. I think Xin Yue's love for Jiu Ye started off as a schoolgirl type of crush, where she is shy and hesitant around him. But with Wuji, she is free to be who she really is, speak her mind, and she grows as a result of him. That is the mark of a true relationship: to have room to grow but never doubt yourself.

    I enjoyed reading your review! And I especially love this part: "I love that his love never stops and never tainted or spoiled by jealousy. I love that his love doesn’t hurt. I love that his love is out in the open, shining brightly for everyone to see. And I love seeing that Xin Yue actually loves being showered by his love although she always pretends to be ignorant of it." Gotta love a man who knows what he wants and bravely fights for it!

    If you'd like, you can read my review at https://thewritesofpassage.wordpress.com/2016/04/10/oh-eddie-you-slayed-in-sound-of-the-desert/ :)

    Joyce

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't have said it better Joyce. Glad you liked this as much as I did.

      Delete